10.15.2009

Another ring?

I love my engagement ring, really I do, but I am completely at a loss when it comes to getting a wedding band to go with it. The oval basket setting will not allow a standard band to sit flush with it.


my ring. personal photo.


The most obvious or common choice for a ring like mine is to buy a curved wedding band. Many rings even come in pre-made sets where the curve allows the band to sit flush with the engagement ring's setting.


source.


However, I really don't think this option is for me. I want to be able to wear my wedding band alone if I should choose to, and I don't really want it to look like this:


source.


I could, of course, choose to always wear my wedding band by itself and wear my engagement ring on my right hand whenever I want, but I have this weird thing about having symmetrical rings (one on the same finger of each hand), and just don't think I could get used to it or even like it. Chances are I would not wear my engagement ring again, and I don't want that. Plus, I want a chance to wear both rings together at least while we're newlyweds. Time to get creative.

Mrs. Cherry Pie posted about her own search for a creative way to make a ring to fit her unique ring here and here.

Her Jeweler drew these sketches for possible solutions for her ring,


source.


and she ended up with this:


source.


I thought this was such a lovely solution and started dreaming up ideas for my own ring - including swirls and such to fill in the gaps between a normal band and my ring's setting. Unfortunately, when I approached my jeweler with this option, he basically told me flat out that it would be too expensive to be worth it. I'm still keeping this option open, and will perhaps talk to a few more jewelers soon.

Mrs. Mary Jane also posted about her wedding band dilemma here. She has a halo/basket setting like mine, and was able to actually have the basket setting cut so a ring could slide into place.




source.


This, I think, is the best option. I would still be able to have a standard band and they would sit perfectly flush. I am worried, however, that cutting into the basket setting would not work for my ring and would perhaps make some of the diamonds loose or the ring less stable.

My jeweler said that they could shave off some of the bottom layer of the basket so that I could slide a very thin band underneath it, but I don't want a paper-thin wedding band that could potentially break. He did not say anything (positive to negative) about actually cutting the basket setting, though, so maybe I'll go back and ask him about it with Mary Jane's pictures as evidence that it works.

My last option is from Fashion by Bowie. This blogger has a ruby ring that looks exactly like my garnet, and here's what she did for a wedding band:


source.


This is such a creative twist and makes the rings very eye-catching and interesting, but I'm afraid this band still wouldn't look quite right alone. It's so neat to be able to see another option for my (almost) exact ring, though, so I had to share it.


So, I still don't know what I'm going to do about my wedding band. I really like my jeweler, but he doesn't seem to be very helpful in the creative options department. Perhaps I'll search for someone new and keep hunting for options.

Does your engagement setting sit nicely with a wedding band, or do/did you need to get creative like me? What did you come up with?

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! Your ring is gorgeous but it's going to be tricky to come up with something. I'll keep my eye open for you.
    I have a ring almost identical to that in a sapphire that I'm thinking about wearing as my something blue. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an emerald cut diamond, so have the same issue with a standard band. I am ok with my wedding band not sitting flush against it, but I didn't realize all of these options were available. I'm going to look into these and see if I can do something like this in a cost-effective way. Thanks for sharing the info and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ring! I also have that issue with my engagement ring, but I plan to wear the e-ring on the right hand after I'm married. I'm looking forward to being bling-ed out on both hands ;)

    ReplyDelete