10.24.2009

Counting: I ate this...

Howdy folks, I have something wonderful to share with you. Meet Livestrong.com. It's a fabulous tool for calorie counting/tracking and healthy living tips.


source.


There are so many wonderful elements to the site like setting and tracking fitness/workout goals, helpful health articles, and more, but the feature I am most excited about is called "The Daily Plate."


source.


It helps making calorie counting super easy - and fun!

First, you inset your weight, height, age, and such along with the amount of weight you hope to lose/gain/stay the same, and it calculates the amount of calories per day you should be eating in order to reach your goal.

Then, you add food items to your plate. By using their search feature, you can add the actual items from pretty much any restaurant or brand you want. You find your food or drink item, click "I ate this" and it's added to your running count of consumed calories for the day. They have just about everything (seriously, they have the calorie content for an item at Red Robin that Red Robin itself didn't even have on their Nutritonal Facts menu), and for any specific items that they don't have, you can estimate the calorie count by adding up ingredients or items like it or by inputting your own information. Then, you're given the option to write how many servings of the item you ate, what time of day ti was, and combine items you eat a lot into meals for easier adding next time. Not only does this feature count your calorie intake, but it also spreads out the daily percentages of fats, cholesterol, carbs, sugars, fiber, and protein from the things you've eaten. You can also track your daily water consumption.

According to this site, if I can eat around 1,600 calories per day, I can lose 1 1/2 pounds per week - making my wedding weight loss goals easy to reach. So far, I have been a bad kid and have consumed and tracked more calories than my goal each day (that's what I get for starting on the weekend), but I mostly blame my friends who dragged me to fatty but tasty chains all weekend long. (Did you know that The Cheesecake Factory has items on their menu that contain up to 3,000 calories! Add a 900 calorie slice of cheesecake and you're eating more than twice what you should for a day in just one meal! - I didn't eat that much when I was there - we split a meal and a slice of cheesecake, but it still put me over my limit)

Anyway, I am really enjoying tracking my calorie intake on "The Daily Plate" and hope to see some results!

Do you count calories? Does it help you maintain your weight or weight loss goals?

2 comments:

  1. I use this website too, it's great for actually keeping track of what you're eating. Although I haven't seen any weight loss with just eating their recommended amount of calories each day. But I just got the 30 Day Shred in the mail, so hopefully working in some exercise will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I checked it out and signed up, so far so good! I eat so much better when I know I'm logging it later.

    ReplyDelete