11.18.2009

Dress me up: Part 5 - A Decision!

Part One.
Part Two.
Part Three.
Part Four.

I left off by saying my choice between my final three dresses was an obvious one, and it was. One dress seemed to be the perfect combination of the elements I loved about the other two, and it was absolutely perfect for the look/theme/feel of our wedding.

So, which one did I choose?

This one, more than any others, is a no fiance zone. David, you really don't want to click further.

Maggie Sottero's Keeley of course!





The above images are of me wearing the store's sample dress the day I placed the order. The size 8 sample had been stretched out by many brides before me, and the creases in the belly and worn look of the tulle show for it. I loved the exact fit of this sample dress - it shaped me so nicely - but, Synthia (the sales lady) convinced me to go a size bigger since my actual dress wouldn't be stretched out.

My dress came almost exactly two months after I ordered her. Since I was told it would take at least 5-6 months, I was surprised and unprepared when they came to announce her arrival, but I was really glad to be able to pick it up from San Jose before I graduated and moved back down to San Diego.

Here's the real thing, my very own Keeley, the actual dress I get to wear on my wedding day:





It doesn't shape me into quite as much of a "WOW!" hourglass form as the sample size did, but the skirt and belly area certainly look much better in their new and unstretched/un-tattered glory. The top doesn't fit me nearly as well as the sample - I need to have the chest area taken in - but, I got it over my hips much easier. When I was measured to order the dress, I was basically a perfect Maggie size 10 in the hips/butt and waist, but a perfect Maggie size 8 in the chest. I plan on working on finding a great padded bra, taking it in a bit, and finding a stunning corset to give me the hourglass shape that I had with the sample.

So now, I'm reaching out to all of ya'll - does anyone have recommendations for a more affordable source of these undergarments? What about a suggestion of when I can go for alterations? I can't spend too much money, but I really want to reach the same "WOW" feeling I got when I tried on the sample dress with my own.

Did you notice much difference between the sample dress and your actual wedding dress? Did you have a hard time fitting just right into your size?

Don't get me wrong, I love love love my dress, and I agree that my actual dress looks much better than the sample... It's just missing the more extreme effect that convinced me to buy it.

*All photos in this post are personal photos taken by friends and family.

3 comments:

  1. LUCKY!!! My Maggie was ordered in May and it still isn't in!
    Your dress is absolutely gorgeous =] I haven't even begun to think about undergarments or alterations yet so I'm of no help...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tip: to achieve the hourglass look, lace that corset tight. This should help with the top fit as well and will save you $$$ in alterations (I have the same problem being one whole size larger in the hips). Honestly, I think you look way better in your dress instead of the sample. The sample one looks too tight in the hips.

    ReplyDelete