11.24.2009

Oh Honey Honey: Part 3 - Why we booked it.

When David and I really started talking about our honeymoon, I learned something that changed our plans completely. I had always assumed that David would not want to go somewhere beachy or tropical because he grew up in San Diego and hates going to the beach here. When he told me that he would actually enjoy an island honeymoon and that his criteria for the trip were more important than the location, I started new research.

We ended up deciding to go to Jamaica - somewhere I have never ever imagined us going before, but we are super excited about it now.

[1] We don't have to worry about money while we're there - all-inclusive would be best.

- Not only did my research show me that the Caribbean (Jamaica, in particular) introduced the original all-inclusive resort, but it's really the only place to go to have the full all-inclusive experience. The idea of paying one flat rate for everything - super nice room, great service, fine dining for all meals, snacks, unlimited drinks, plenty of activities, taxes, and all tips and gratuity - seems to not exist outside of the Caribbean. I read that Hawaii does not have all-inclusives because the economy could not handle it and the resorts would not make any money. I have heard that there are a few all-inclusive resorts in Europe, but apparently they are incredibly expensive, and I have not found any information on them or what they actually include.
- Technically, we could have planned and budgeted everything out in advance and gone to normal (not all-inclusive) route, but that seemed like so much work and left room for unforeseen changes and charges.


source.


[2] We don't have to stick to someone's schedule or itinerary.

- Really, a cruise was the best option for us until we started thinking about this criteria. A cruise is really they only other way to have everything included and not have to count pennies during the actual vacation. However, cruises also have pretty strict schedules - yes, when they're at port we have all day to explore the area, but we also have to be back at the ship at a specific time so as not to be left behind. We decided we would not enjoy ourselves as much if we were worried about getting back. Cruises also have set dinner times, and often seat couples with other groups of people - both seemed to take away from the romantic and free feelings we wanted.
- The "no schedules" criteria was also the main reason we ruled out many of the places I actually really want to visit some day. My "must travel" list includes places like New York City, many places in Europe, etc. We decided these places would not be fitting honeymoon spots because there are so many places and things I would want to see that we would constantly running from one thing to another.
- The all-inclusive Caribbean resorts really stood out in this category - I read many travellers' reviews where they said they didn't look at a clock once during their stay. Many of the restaurants do not require reservations, and we would be staying in one place at the resort instead of trying to fit everything in or worrying about our room leaving us to get to the next destination.

[3] We can relax all we want, but still have fun things to do.

- True, we decided not to go somewhere full of places to go and things to see because we wanted to relax, but the idea of strictly relaxing and laying around with nothing else to do made me feel like we'd eventually get bored. My impression of Island resorts has always been that people lay around the beach all day, every day and there's not much else to do. When I discovered that our resort includes kayaking, windsurfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, tennis, golf, beach volleyball, board games, and more for free as well as the option to book additional tours and excursions, I was sold. The beach and pools are there for true relaxation and the moment we get bored, there's plenty to do.


source.


[4] I would really like to go on a zip line / ropes course of some sort.

- What can I say? I love 'em. I'm sure there are many places we could have gone to do this, but since Jamaica met the rest of our criteria and the resort offers a ropes course and zip line through the jungle as one of their tour packages, it was icing on the cake.


Does your honeymoon destination fit all of your criteria? Did you end up going somewhere completely unexpected like us, or are you going to a destination you've always dreamed of?

Stay tuned for more specific information about our resort and why I'm so very excited!

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree about not being on a schedule! I don't get why Europe is such a popular honeymoon destination - when I'm in Europe, I am running around all day trying to see every single sight, which is not what I want to be doing on my honeymoon.

    We are deciding between Hawaii and the Caribbean - good point about the all-inclusive resorts, I didn't think about Hawaii not having those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just make one suggestion about traveling to Jamaica. Be very careful who you talk to & where you travel while your there. The country is in extreme poverty, and some of the beaches have really bad pollution (worse than Orange County beaches if you can believe it). There is a lot of crime, like 3rd highest murder rate. Wikipedia Travel was actually a great resource for research. The last thing you want to do is get robbed or hurt on your honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We second the no schedule thing! We want to go to a beach location too where we can lounge about all day just relaxing. Not seeing sites and running around on buses! We are still trying to decide on location

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Stephanie: Thanks for the warning. In fact, I wavered a little bit when deciding on our trip because of the crime and stuff. But honestly, we don't really plan on leaving our resort, so I think/hope it'll be okay. As far as I've read, the majority of the crime/murders are in Kingston, which is far from where we'll be. I hadn't heard about the pollution, though. I hope/assume the private resort beaches are okay...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be fine if you're staying within the resort area - of course why would you leave if you have the all-inclusive deal?

    I'm sure you'll have a fabulous, relaxing time. The honeymoon truly is a great time to reconnect with your Love after the craziness of the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds amazing! good find :) haha though the first thing I though of when you mentioned sandals was the office. happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete