1.28.2010

The dreaded "D" word.



I honestly can't tell if this is for real or not. I plan on writing a post soon (when I have more time to get so in-depth) on my feelings on divorce and what marriage should really mean, but for now I just want to say that I think making divorce illegal is going too far. I don't want people to feel like divorce is an easy option, but trapping people in their marriages? It kinda changes what marriage is, don't you think? I don't know... is there a way to make people take marriage more seriously in the first place without this melodramatic call for new laws?

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I think this is for real, I just googled it and there's an entire website. I don't think a law is going to protect the sanctity of marriage, people will find a way around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a joke, although intended to point out serious issues with the main arguments against same-sex marriage.

    Listen to the things they say: "Parents should be teaching their kids things, not schools." "I got divorced, and now, I have to live with that horrible sense of liberation for the rest of my life." They're being ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't seem like irony to me. Well, at first I thought it must be but I can't find anything online that alludes to it being a joke.
    And if it is for real, it's ridiculous. Everyone should have a choice, staying stuck in a crumbling marriage isn't good for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would say that would get shot down as unconstitutional pretty fast even if it did pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the Huffington Post:
    "John [the writer] doesn't really want to ban divorce--he's making a point about gay rights, specifically that if you want to argue that gay marriage is bad for traditional marriage, you'll have to agree divorce is worse for it."

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/13/2010-california-marriage_n_318639.html

    The version of the PSA included in that article is more obviously ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Sarah: ahh. I figured it was something like that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete