1.29.2010

A question to "brooch".

Photobucket
image via the knot.

Hey guys, remember my dress? David, as you can see, this post includes elements of my dress. You probably don't want to read on. Everyone else...


It comes with this super sparkly and very lovely, but unfortunately silver-based brooch to go on the sash:


personal photo.

At first glance, the brooch seemed completely wrong for the dress. The dress is antique-ish and gold while the brooch seemed overly sparkly and way too silver. There are some other sparkly things on the neckline, but they are much less noticeable than the brooch.


personal photo.
See? They're barely able to see from afar... in fact, I had completely forgotten about them (or never even noticed them) on the sample dress and was convinced they'd sent me a slightly different dress when mine arrived. (The tulle being held up by the neckline is another project I'm considering - I'll talk about that later.)

Anyway, I originally planned on taking off the brooch and making a tulle rosette (from the extra tulle stole that came with my dress) to go in its place.


personal photo


And then I saw the photo at the top of the post.
It was such a lovely photo. The lace and gold sash were so similar to mine. And what's that wonderful little extra? Oh yeah, a brooch. A sparkly brooch at that. This one, however, was gold and antiquey and much more suited for the dress.

Suddenly I didn't want a tulle rosette. I wanted a brooch of my own. Yes, I already had a brooch, but I wanted that perfect brooch from the picture.

A quick hunt through etsy brought me these lovelies:








buy them here, here, here, and here.


So what do you think? It is worth the extra purchase to buy a more perfect brooch for my dress? Should I just suck it up and wear the silver one? (It is lovely, after all) Or should I make/wear the rosette? I could even try to add some beads and such to the tulle as a sore of DIY brooch... Augh, what should I do?

7 comments:

  1. How much extra money? Can you take it from somewhere else in the budget? Those are really gorgeous brooches, but I'd stick with the tulle or a DIY if they're really going to hurt your bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say go for it IF you can find the right brooch. Obviously, you don't want to drop a lot of cash on it but Etsy's vintage category is pretty reasonable. I bought a vintage brooch on Etsy and it only cost me $8.00, so it was entirely worth it for me but I don't think I would have gone much over $20. Unfortunately, I keep seeing brooches I like and I now have 2, haha. It really depends on what your dress is really like and how much sparkle suits your tastes. My dress is really simple and doesn't have any beading, so I knew I wanted mega-sparkle from the brooch, but if you're afraid of overdoing it, stick with the rosette idea. I'm sure it'll be great either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pic of the dress with the sash and brooch! if it isn't going to break the bank and you can afford it I say go for it. Maybe test it out with the brooch you already have and some fabric to see how it looks with your dress first before you spend more $? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pic of the brooch in the sash. I say either one would probably be fine...it's a matter of your taste and your budget allowance. I am sure you can find something somewhere that will make you super happy. If you aren't sure about the brooch that came with the dress, it wouldn't hurt to look around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for a brooch if you can find one for cheap. I love the ones that incorporate pearls, but maybe you can look at garnet (fake garnet?) brooches too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if you want the brooch, you should go for it. I mean really, I'm sure you can find one that's not too expensive. You could even sell the silver one to help pay for a new one. I guess, I don't see it being a big enough expense that it would keep you from doing what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for the gold! It's something you can wear again and pass down, and you can get really affordable ones.

    ReplyDelete