4.30.2010

DIY Flowers: Costco Style.

I have been putting off thinking about flowers for the longest time. In fact, whether or not I would actually end up with a bouquet by my wedding day has been hanging over my head to the point that it's funny to me. Sine I always knew I would be making our centerpeices, boutonnieres, and other decor, and that my bridesmaids would be carrying baby's breath, it seemed silly to hire a florist. I played with the idea of creating some DIY masterpiece for my bouquet, but at this point, there's not really time.

So, what's a girl to do with three weeks and no flowers? Enter Costco.com.
Costco sells flowers in bulk online which you can schedule to be delivered to your door or your closest store on the day and time of your choice. That sounds like a fantasy land where magical Costco elves deliver perfect flowers to happy brides, and I fear it just cannot be, but the many reviews on the site have confirmed the time, quality, and can't beat it price of the product, so here goes!


Costco even has full wedding package options available. If you're a simple bride who wants all white roses (above) or mixed garden flowers (below) for her wedding flowers, you can purchase packages that provide everything - bridal and toss bouquets, bridesmaid bouquets, boutonnieres, corsages, centerpieces, and more - for a mere $400 or $430 respectively. Wow!


They also have Calla Lily, Hydrangea, and Sunflower collections for $750.

And if you're a true DIY bride who needs the whole floral package but can assemble it yourself, there's the Do-It-Yourself Bridal and Reception Kits. These kits come with the flowers, filler, floral tape, bout pins, ribbon, and everything else you would need to assemble the flowers yourself.

However, since I'm just looking to make a few nice bouquets and maybe create some ceremony decorations, these kits aren't for me. But never fear, Costco sells a fairly large selection of flowers in bulk. Here are some of the options I'm considering and deciding on ordering.


This Combo Box of Callas, Roses (which I would get in white as well), and Lilies would be a great way to get more than one flower on the cheap.


Then again, there's always Roses or Lilies on their own for a good bouquet base.


Then again, I love the look of the Star of Bethlehem and the Alstromeria.


and of course, I'd order the Baby's Breath for my girls, and I would love to have this Hypericum as filler for my own bouquet.

So what do you think? I can probably order two or three blooms plus the baby's breath. How much baby's breath will I need to order to make 5 bouquets? Which blooms should I get for my own bouquet? (anything left over from my bouquet will be ceremony/aisle decorations.) Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great idea! I never would have thought you could get bulk flowers from Costco... but then again you can get EVERYTHING from Costco!! I can't help with any of your questions since I know nothing about flowers, but I can't wait to see how everything turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the alstroemeria, but probably because it makes me think of bougainvillea which makes me think of San Diego.

    Also, I can't imagine any drawbacks to ordering too much baby's breath.

    Also, "Costco sells a fairy large selection of flowers in bulk" is a very charming typo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information on flowers and their style. I am searching for renowned Flower Delivery Near Me offering florists for booking flowers for my sister’s birthday. She love tulips and hoping to find a reputed florist to send amazing flowers.

    ReplyDelete