4.05.2011

A rose by any other name

I'm jumping on the name post wagon. Feel free to jump in and answer these yourself, too.


a close-up of my Bliss flowers. Photo by me.

How did your parents decide on your name?
My mom wanted to name me Aubrey, Audrey, or Audra, but my dad didn't like any of those. They somehow settled on Laura - it's actually a compromise, I guess, because the way they pronounce my name still has the same "au" sound.

Do your initials (first/middle/last) spell anything funny?
My initials are the same with my married name as my single name - LCS. When I was in jr. high, we had dry erase boards instead of chalk boards, and the eraser/marker company we used was "LCS." They were the crappiest dry erase markers and erasers I'd ever seen.

Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you drop your middle name and take your maiden name as your middle name?
My middle name stayed the same, so I dropped my old last name all together. Mostly it was because my middle name sounds much prettier than having a last name as a middle name.

Are you or will you name your children systematically? (ie, same first letter, same orgin, etc)
When I was a kid, I wrote the beginnings of a story where a family had, like, 12 kids whose names went alphabetically - for example, the eldest was Amanda, then Brian, Cameron, Deborah, etc etc. But no, I've known too many families with obnoxiously same-y names to follow any real theme. The meanings and origins of names really interest me, though, so we may end up with some common ground on those levels.

Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
Yes, I have wanted to name a daughter the same thing since the fifth grade when a friend of mine and I thought we made the name up while playing.

Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
My middle name is my aunt's name, and my sisters' middle names are those of our grandmothers who had both passed away by the time they were born.

Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
I definitely consider the meaning - in fact, there are some names that I would never consider because I think the meaning is bizarre. Example, I kinda like the name Addison on a girl, but I can't get past the fact that you'd be naming your daughter "son of Adam." I think the sound of the name itself trumps the meaning in most cases, though.

Do you name pets with human names or pet names?
We plan on getting a dachshund and naming him Winston. We call every small dog we see "Bobo" and bigger dogs "Clarence" or sometimes "Floyd."

Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
I'm sure there are. I think it's strange when anyone names a kid the same name as someone they know well unless they're specifically honoring that person. But yeah, I'm sure we'll have that "No, we can't use that name - that's someone I hated in high school..." conversation many times.

What are some of your favorite names & why?
An old friend of mine just named her daughter the name I've been holding on to since fifth grade, so I don't really want to go around sharing it so much anymore. But here are some other pretty names.
Girl: Damaris, Adelle, Aislynn, I'm sure there are more, but nothing comes to mind.
Boy: Sterling, Greyson, Aidan, (David has added that he likes Ethan and Samuel - both I could live with)

No comments:

Post a Comment